Friday 17 June 2016

How do you shoot?

I've been wandering through my Flickr page, pics recently uploaded. It's made me realise that when I use my Sony gear then I mostly shoot and process straight, whether it's landscapes, objects or people, and generally in colour. There have been exceptions, but usually just a single theme (like the cars of Wetaskiwin's Reynolds motor museum in mono).

Yet when I shoot with the Nikon I find myself wanting to do all sorts of odd processing on the images in ways I never would with the Sony. Bizarre, because the higher detail lends itself to more conventional processing and straight imagery better than the slightly fringy Sony output. It might be the lenses (mostly I use a 20-35, or manual 85 f1.4 and 80-200 f4.5) which completely lack 'normal' midange focal lengths, but I'm not sure that's the case either.

Or maybe it's because the Nikon .NEF files don't look so good SOOC but also withstand abuse better than the Sony .ARW files? Who knows.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated: please wait a little while for your comment to appear.